Manage the engineering/maintenance operations of the hotel to ensure the safety and comfort of hotel guests and employees and to ensure compliance with all Brand and federal, state, and/or local regulatory and inspection requirements. May have responsibility for the Loss Prevention function.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the daily activities of the department. Plan and organize work, communicate goals, and schedule employees to ensure proper coverage. Communicate and enforce policies and procedures.
- Recommend and/or initiate salary, disciplinary, or other staffing/human resources-related actions in accordance with Company rules and policies. Alert management of potentially serious issues.
- Ensure all staff is properly trained and has the tools to and equipment needed to effectively carry out their respective job duties.
- Educate/train employees on current safety issues to ensure compliance with all federal, state and local laws and safety regulations. Inform management of hazardous situations, emergencies or threats to the security of guests, employees or hotel assets.
- Maintain and repair the interior and exterior of buildings, hotel rooms and contents, laundry and kitchen/refrigeration equipment, lighting, heating, air conditioning (HVAC), ventilation, and water treatment systems, and swimming pool-if applicable, etc.
- Ensure the execution and achievement of the hotel’s preventive maintenance program goals (e.g. Holi-Kare, CrowneKare, SuiteKare, etc.).
- Ensure that tools and equipment are prepared and operational for the following day’s work.
- Monitor budget and control expenses within all areas of the department. Participate in the preparation of the annual departmental operating budget and financial plans which support the overall objectives of the hotel.
- Establish and maintain procedures to (1) ensure the security of inventory and assets such as tools, supplies, equipment, furniture, televisions, etc., (2) replenish supplies and inventory in a timely and efficient manner, and (3) to minimize waste.
- Respond in a courteous and prompt manner to all guest questions, complaints and/or requests to ensure a high level of guest satisfaction.
- Work with corporate product managers, engineers, and/or outside architects regarding renovations and other such projects; contact contractors for bids and meet with appropriate construction supervisors to ensure timely completion of projects within budget and establish future maintenance commitments.
- May be responsible for determining the security requirements necessary to ensure that hotel property, employees, and guest are protected against theft, crime, and other hazards, and/or manage the relationship with a third party security firm contracted for such purposes.
- Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Communicate with all hotel department heads to stay informed of maintenance needs and ensure timely responses to requests.
- Interact with outside contacts:
- Guests – to ensure their total satisfaction
- Vendors – to ensure adequate inventory of supplies and equipment, to discuss pricing or service issues, to resolve any vendor performance issues, etc.
- Contractors – to obtain and review bids
- Regulatory agencies – regarding safety and compliance matters
- Other contacts as needed (Professional organizations, community groups, local media)
- May assist with other duties as assigned and may serve as “manager on duty” as required.
This is the top Maintenance/Engineering job in a small to medium limited or full-service, or extended stay hotel which may include older buildings with associated maintenance difficulties and a moderate range of facilities, including one or more food and beverage-type outlets, and/or meeting space or catering/convention facilities. Supervises a small maintenance staff.
Qualifications and Requirements:
Some college or advanced vocational training plus four years of experience in general building maintenance and/or construction including supervisory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Hotel experience preferred. Professional certification and license if required by law.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
- Carrying, lifting, pushing and/or pulling items weighing up to 100-300 pounds
- Frequently standing up and moving about the facility
- Frequently handling objects and equipment to maintain the facility
- Frequently bending, stooping, kneeling, climbing and crawling
- Specialized expertise in plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and carpentry fields. Level 3 EPA Certification, HVAC and refrigeration certificate, licensed plumber and/or journeyman status for electrician and carpenter may be required.
- Communication, both verbal and written, skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with others; demonstrated ability to interact with guests, employees and third parties that reflects highly on the hotel, the brand and the Company.
- Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
- Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
- May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the essential nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be ALL responsibilities or qualifications of the job.